I can’t believe the year is already over! It went by so fast! I was really happy to reach my 50 books in a year goal. I managed to read 51 in total (not included short stories). Feel free to check out the list 🙂 I didn’t finish the A-Z challenge (though to be honest I gave up half way through) and the same goes for the What’s in a Name challenge. I did finish the New Author Challenge … by February >> This year was definitely a year of new to me authors.
So I’ve seen this book survey around the interwebs and thought it was a great way to wrap up 2013. It is hosted by Jamie over at The Perpetual Page Turner. It’s pretty great so go check out her blog! So without further ado:
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Since I can’t choose I’m going to combine this with this week’s Top Ten Tuesday of Top Ten books of 2013 (in no particular order):
- The Fault in Our Stars – John Green
- Mara Dyer Trilogy – Michelle Hodkin
- Fangirl – Rainbow Rowell
- Percy Jackson & The Olympians – Rick Riordan
- Lunar Chronicles – Melissa Meyer
I’m stopping there because some of those are more than one book >>
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Imposter Bride by Nancy Richler. It was a good book but for some reason I thought it was going to be much more action oriented and thrilling. Just the name sounded like the book was full of drama and mayheim. It was a good book but a bit of a disappointment.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. The cover was gorgeous and the description was enticing BUT THE BOOK WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN I EXPECTED! It absolutely blew me away AND THE SECOND WAS EVEN BETTER! If you’re looking for a good young adult novel with a hint of thrill and horror (and romance). Check out this series. Beware of insane cliffhangers!
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
Refer to the question above.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
It definitely has to be the Lunar Chronicles by Melissa Meyer. I was really hesitant to read it because of the huge hype it got on the tumblr book community. But Isis forced me to read it and gave it high recommendations (we have very similar tastes in books) so I gave it a try and I’m really glad I did! THE SERIES IS SO GOOD! I can’t wait for the next book to come out. I’m not a fan of Science Fiction usually but these books just blew me away.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Rainbow Rowell! I mean just look at that name! How great a name is that? I read her book Fangirl for reblogbookclub on Tumblr and devoured it in a day. I have her other two books (thanks to Isis) to read and I can’t wait.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell was a bit out of my comfort zone for me. I looked forward to it just because it’s about a fangirl and that speaks to me. But I don’t really read many realistic or contemporary fictions.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
The Evolution of Mara Dyer was definitely unputdownable! The plot twists just blew me away and I ended up just sitting in bed and reading it all in one day. It ended in me screaming and furious and demanding that book three be finished and out (which it isn’t yet).
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I’m not sure if I will. I don’t really reread books all that often because half the time I own more books that I haven’t read than ones that I have. So I usually feel like I want to read something new. And books that I do reread are ones I haven’t read in a couple years. If I did reread a book from 2013 it would have to be the Mara Dyer books when the last book is out. I’ll probably just have a Mara Dyer marathon.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
Shadow on the Crown by Patricia Bracewell is probably my favorite cover from 2013. It was just so royal looking and beautifully fancy. It was the whole reason I chose to request this ARC and read it.
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Augustus Waters from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Excuse me while I go have some feels over Augustus.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Angel on the Ropes by Jill Shultz. It just felt like I was reading a piece of art. The way she would describe scenes or character emotions was just so beautiful and magical in some way.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Witch Child and Sorceress by Celia Rees had the biggest impact. It was a book I read when I was younger and I decided to reread it again this year. The story and the lesson it had for its readers was just really powerful. And the way the books are written were very well done.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Percy Jackson & The Olympians by Rick Riordan. I don’t know why it took me this long to get in to the Percy Jackson fandom but I am so glad that I did! I still haven’t read Heroes of Olympus but I think I’m going to wait until the last book is published.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
I don’t actually keep track of quotes that I like so I don’t have an answer for this.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
The shortest book I read was Candy and the Cankersaur by Jason Sandberg. It was a children’s ebook that the author requested I review. It was really cute and only a few pages. The longest book I read was A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin which was a total of 1128 pages.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
The ending of The Evolution of Mara Dyer because I mean HAVE YOU READ THAT CLIFF HANGER BECAUSE I’M CURRENTLY DANGLING FROM A THIN TWIG THAT’S PASSING FOR A ROOT OF A BUSH AND I JUST NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS! I then made Isis read it so we could freak out together.
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Levi and Cath from Fangirl were my favorite relationship. They are just so cute together!
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Storm of Swords by George Martin was my favorite read from an author I’ve read previously. I think that book is also the best of the ASOIAF novels that I have read. So many things!
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Definitely Cinder and Scarlet by Melissa Meyer. I’m in love with this author’s writing and this series. Isis just wouldn’t stop nagging me until I read it and I did 🙂
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
I think it was Fantasy, but no surprise there since Fantasy is my favorite genre. What was surprising was the amount of young adult novels I read this year. I wasn’t big on young adult because I felt the writing was too easy for my tastes but I read so many good YA books that got good reviews from other book bloggers.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Noah Shaw from Mara Dyer trilogy. He’s british 😉
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
I know I’m getting a bit repetitive with some of these answers but I think it has to be Scarlet by Melissa Meyer.
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
The world of Angel on the Ropes was just so colorful and vivid. I can still remember it now even though I read it months ago.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake was really fun to read. It was really good and it freaked me out at times. I can’t wait to read the second book.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
The Fault in Our Stars. I cried oceans.
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
Sorry to be repetitive but I feel like the Mara Dyer books have been really overlooked. I don’t know many people that have even wanted to give it a try but trust me, the books are so good! They’re YA and I would classify them as a thriller. But the characters are wonderful, the romance is believable and sucks you in, and the plot twists – oh! the plot twists! – are just so insane you couldn’t even begin to imagine.
Happy new year everyone!!!!! ❤
I hope you all have a great day/had a wonderful evening. I would love to hear what books you loved most reading in 2013. 🙂